Thursday, 16 December 2010

Controllers Implemented in Pythonic Boids for Blender

While college was on I hardly had any time at all to work on this.  I found a spare three hours this morning and implemented 'controllers'.  Currently you can instruct the boids to follow or to be attracted/repelled/directed by controllers.  I also implemented a way of detecting the orientation of the ground plane from the cross product of the last two direction vectors (with necessary error checking, direction flipping etc) and replaced all of the orientation interpolation code with quaternion slerp.  This will obviously need some more careful coding to make sure that the boids don't suffer from quaternion flip - hopefully I can get the smooth interpolations of quats with the twistability of eulers (i.e. >360 degree angles).



I've also been messing with low-poly stuff seeing as that seems to be in vogue this year what with 'Between Bears' rocketing up the vimeo charts.  After walking in the woods this evening in low light I was trying to work out how to get the sense of a curved ground plane from only the striation of the tree trunks.  Kept running into anti-aliasing issues though - the opposite type from usual - smooth fades from black to white wasn't quite what I had in mind.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment